Did you know this past Friday was National Thrift Shop day?! I didn’t even realize this was a thing. I had never been a huge thrift shopper because the anxiety of having to “hunt” for something special seemed like a waste of time. However my sister finally convinced me to give it a try and I’m hooked!
Within one hour at our local goodwill I was able to find 1 sweater from target, 1 sweater from Banana Republic, 1 sweater from Old Navy, 1 skirt from Loft and 1 Ann Taylor pencil skirt! The best part is, I got all 5 pieces for under $25 while also helping my community!
It’s safe to say I am now a converted thrift store shopper! Here are my 5 tips for shopping at thrift stores and how to grab the best thrift shop finds!
- Give yourself some time. This isn’t the type of store you can be in and out in less than 10 minutes if you are looking for something in particular. Take your time and peruse all the racks!
- Try things on in a different size. Since most of the items have been worn and washed what might typically be a large might fit like a small now. I suggest trying everything on.
- Have no expectations. Open mind means endless possibilities. Everything is an option so why not try it? With fashion something from a few years ago might already be back in style.
- Try a different rack. Rather than shop the women’s rack I also shop the men’s rack too. I’ve found some of my favorite Hawaiian shirts that have been converted to beach coverups in the men’s racks.
- Enjoy the hunt. This was hard for me to comprehend because I love knowing what I will be finding in a store before I go. But the thrill of finding something unexpected that you didn’t know you needed is so much fun! So enjoy the hunt!