What I am learning quickly about the fight for racial justice and the movement to reform our country is that it requires both short term action and a long term plan. No one action today can stop the racial injustices within out country, but that same one action keeps the foot on the gas.
With that being said, here are some things that we can ALL do TODAY to address racial injustices in america.
- Post on social media – while 1 social media post might not seem like enough, you are sharing your support and helping to take the burden off of those who are already carrying so much.
- Protest peacefully – use your voice and presence to show solidarity and support.
- donate to impact causes – there are SO many places that you can financially donate and make an impact. Here are some of my favorites: George Floyd Memorial Fund,NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, The Loveland Foundation
- Educate yourself – read a book, watch a documentary. No one can tell you how to feel but by educating yourself you can begin to understand the deep seeded pain and hurt and begin to be an advocate for change.
- Have tough conversations – this is SO scary. Trust me I know. But its also the only way we grow. Just remember that everyone experiences their own reality and just because their opinions differ does not mean they always have bad intentions. Conversations are not meant to change someones mind but rather open up our own.
- Sign petitions – possibly the easiest one on my list. Here are some of the petitions I’ve signed: George’s Law, Racial Bias Tests, Justice for David McAtee, False 911 Claims
“A revolution has many lanes – be kind to yourself and to others who are traveling in the same direction.”